Thursday, May 29, 2008

{what is it?}

I took AS Physics last year and got an 'a' with A for each of the three components. Knowing that you can't get a better grade than that (a better mark, yes) I then decided not to sit for AS Physics (ever) again so that I can concentrate on A2 this November. Later, I found out that apparently I don't have to sit for any internal exams with Physics AS content if I want to, since I'm not going to sit for the real Physics AS again anyway. For example, this mid-year, for Physics we've got two papers (same goes for the other two science subjects): Paper 1 (AS syllabus) and Paper 2 (A2 syllabus). So the idea is to just sit for Paper 2, with my mid-year grade for Physics depending on just that paper.

The problem is, currently my Physics A2 is kinda really bad. So, sitting for Paper 1 to up my grade is tempting. What's more, Paper 1 is next week i.e. after Paper 2 which is today, and next week I only have two papers to study for. The week after I have another two papers. Basically I can sure --- tell you I have all the time that I want and need to study for Paper 1. But I've already told my tutor that I'm not gonna sit for Physics AS again. I told him I was sure, and that I was firm. But that was for the real, Cambridge exam. That was before the timetable for mid-year came out. Yes, I'm definitely sure I don't want to sit for Physics AS again in November. What I'm worried now is just the internal, mid-year school exam. I'm worried about my grade this time round. I'm thinking of going to sit for Paper 1 to help pull my grade up.

So here's my dilemma: just go and sit for Paper 2 this mid-year, and potentially suffer the consequences of a sole paper done badly. OR renege on my decision, and sit for both Papers. I think the first choice shows strength in adversity, and the willingness to work hard to achieve; while the second just shows kiasu-ness.

I know none of this is life-threatening, and it's just mid-year haha but yeah still.

No comments: